Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mushroom, spinach, cheese & herb roll-ups



My friend Zarah makes the most kick ass mushroom & herb tart- the filling is earthy, herby, cheesy and amazing all packed in a gorgeous, flaky, delicious puff pastry. Once you taste it, you'll CRAVE it. I plan on making it soon- because it a go-to at this time of year, especially since it's an excellent freezer-meal that you can easily make 2 or 4 of and freeze the ones you don't have for dinner that night....this post, is not that post, yet. Sorry. I know, I got you drooling, and said "puff pastry" and that's just not what I'm about to break down for you. BUT, this post is awesome, and easy, and delicious and my 1 year old LOVED it. (promise, the shifty look is deep enjoyment, he's thrilled, trust me.)



The filling is inspired by Zarah's goodness, with a few additions to use up things I had and make it a one-stop-dinner- so full of veggies, no side dishes were needed. I'm busy, ok.




What you need:
6-8 baby Bella caps
3-4 shiitake mushrooms
8oz cream cheese
3-4 cloves garlic minced
2 handfuls fresh spinach chopped
Butter, olive oil
Fresh thyme & rosemary
Lasagna pasta sheets, dry
Either Greek yogurt or kale yogurt dip (see photo below)
Parmesan cheese
Salt & peppa

Start a large pot of water boiling on the stove, I think I used about 6-8 cups water.
Add 1 T butter &1T olive oil to skillet remove leaves from 6 stems of thyme then trow about 6-8 whole intact stems in- add 3 sprigs rosemary one w leaves removed from stem- let simmer on low for 5 minutes. Add garlic, simmer another 5 minutes on low.
Add mushrooms turn heat to medium, stir, cook about 6-8 minutes.
Turn heat back to low, remove intact sprigs of herbs, add spinach then cheese, stir until melted & all well mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
When water boils add sheets a few at a time- tend to them so they dot stick to each other- I used plastic tongs to get sheets out & onto wax paper one at a time to cool- boil until tender but aldente about 6 minutes.
When the pasta is cool enough to touch and the filling is finished, spread a thin layer of the filling into each pasta sheet, roll, place in baking dish.




Top with dip or plain yogurt- sprinkle w Parm. Bake 400 for 30min.


I made one with the plain yogurt option in the toaster oven and Logan and I taste-tested it- totally delicious, just so ya know I'm keeping it real with you ;)

I rolled em all up, put them in the pan- then they stayed in the fridge till after the dogs were walked, and all kinds of other business was attended to- then topped with dip, parm and baked for dinner! This would be a good freezer meal too-I'd definitely going to double batch and freeze a pan the next time I make this.

This recipe was DEEEEELICIOUS, huge thanks to Zarah for being an inspiration (in so many ways!) 




No comments: