Monday, November 19, 2012

Sweet Potato, Mushroom & Onion Pizza


\



(sorry about the photo- this was the only one I got!! Ahhhhh!!!)


Still got half of that giant sweet potato left that I used to make the veggie burgers, so thought a pizza would be a fun way to use it up!
Logan LOVES pizza, like really, really, really loves it- I know he's gonna clean his plate when I make pizza-so I save myself some time and pack as many veggies into the pizzas I make so he gets a good dinner or lunch, slice by slice.
This recipe is easy, and was really delicious- you could totally chop some ham, or add some cooked sausage to this to take it to the next level if you want. That's the awesome thing about pizza- just take what ya got, pile it on, and dinner is served.

Here's what you'll need:

1 whole wheat pizza crust dough- I get it at Trader Joe's (surprise, surprise)
1/4 of a yellow onion, cut into thin slivers
1/2 a sweet potato- peeled and grated (I ended up using about 1/4 of a GIANT sweet potato- so 1/2 a normal sized one should do)
3-4 chopped brown mushrooms
Pizza Sauce* (recipe below, I had this in the freezer from the last time I made it- they've also got it at TJ's )
Mozzarella cheese

Pre heat oven to 450
If you have a pizza stone, spread cornmeal ALL OVER IT so the dough doesn't stick.
Or use a baking sheet lined with foil, coated in non-stick spray.
Let dough rest on floured surface for 20 minutes.
Stretch rested dough by hand and form something like a sorta-square, mushed oval, mangled circle or if you are some crazy pro- toss it around and make a good-looking circle, I have yet to achieve this.
Spread a layer of sauce on the dough, top with sweet potato, cheese, onion and mushrooms.
Bake 15-20 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
Let cool 10 minutes, slice & enjoy!


Pizza/Pasta sauce-
I make a batch of this every other week, freeze half and use it for pizza, pasta, and pretty much anything, anytime!

1 15oz can diced tomatoes in liquid
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 15oz can tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
Oregano
Basil
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Pour about 1 T of Olive oil into a medium sauce pan over medium heat- add garlic and sautee till frangrant but not singed- about 5 minutes.
Add can of tomatoes, stir
Add can of paste, stir well
Add sauce, stir
Add a generous amount of garlic powder, basil and oregano- I do a thin layer of each over the top of the sauce mix- one at a time, stirring after each addition.
Add a small handful of grated Parmesan, stir
Add a touch of salt & pepper
Lower heat to LOW, let simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes

No comments: