Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday Oreo Truffles



This was a fun twist on a delicious classic. Nate and I both agree we like the original Oreo Truffles best CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE, but I wanted to make these a bit pep-o-minty for our holiday party. I thought about just adding some peppermint extract to the mix, but then I took a trip to Trader Joes for our weekly groceries. They have their own version of the Oreo cookie- the "Joe Joe's" which can most definitely be used to make Oreo Truffles instead of Oreo Oreo's. Well, good ole TJ's had their HOLIDAY PEPPERMINT JOE'JOES right there by the register in a candy-striped box and I was so excited! This helped keep it super simple and I really just followed the original recipe- but I am pretty sure if you added 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract to original oreos it would yield about the same result.



When made this way (rolling smaller balls) this makes about 60-70 truffles

1 1lb bag of Peppermint Joe Joe's Cookies
1 8oz package of Cream Cheese (softened)
1 8oz package of Bakers Semi-Sweet Chocolate
Wax paper, food processor, large stockpot & small sauce pot

Crush the cookies in the food processor or blender.
In a large bowl combine soften cream cheese and cookie crumbs & refrigerate the mix for 45 minutes to make the ball rolling easier. To melt the chocolate fill the large pot with water (bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer) and put the chocolate in a small pot, hold the small pot over the large simmering water pot so that about a 1/2 inch to an inch of the bottom of the small pot is in the boiling water- melting the chocolate. Roll Oreo mix into 1/2 inch balls Dip in melted chocolate & place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.I sprinkled red deco sugar on all of them (1/2 of them I melted some white chocolate and drizzled it over the top, then added the sugar). Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

yum! those are beautiful, love the red sprinkles :)

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Oh awesomeness!!! I've been addicted to peppermint and chocolate this Holiday season. I'm definitely going to try these....