Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Cocktail Latkes, photoless but delicious...

I can NOT believe I forgot to snap a picture of my yummy cocktail latkes!! OYE! Oh well, it happens, I got a bit too wrapped up in prepping for the par-tay. I have always LOVED potato latkes, one of my favorite foods of the holiday season, but have never attempted to make them on my own. I found THIS RECIPE on ALL RECIPES and did a little doctoring after reading the feedback from others that had tried it.

Click the link above for the original recipe and suggestions. Below is the modified version that I made for our Holiday Party 2007.

6 C of cleaned, peeled, shredded potatoes (using grater on food processor)
1/2 C shredded sweet white onion (using grater on food processor
2 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 C T of Matzo Meal
4 eggs
1 roll of paper towel
Cheesecloth
Oil for frying

Clean peel and shred the potatoes- line a plate with 6-7 pieces of paper towel and pour potatoes onto plate- take another 6-7 paper towels and press down on potatoes squeezing out liquid, change to fresh paper towels and do this about 3 times- then layer about 10 paper towels on a cookie sheet and spread potatoes out across the sheet, let them sit out for about an hour to an hour and a half.
Take potatoes and wrap them up in a cheesecloth & SQUEEEEEEZE out as much of the remaining liquid as possible.
In a large bowl combine VERY WELL DRAINED potaoes, onion, egg, bread crumbs, salt & pepper and Matzo Meal. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
Because I was making these for 20-30 people at a cocktail party I wanted to make them itsy bitsy (like silver dollar sized) vs. traditional normal-sized latkes. Heat enough oil in a large skillet to create a layer about 1/4 an inch on the bottom of the pan. Slowly heat the oil on low temperature for about 10 minutes (If you have a deep fryer, just bust them out in that thing!) When the oil is hot add the potato mix in 1 T sized lumps- pressing them flat down to 1/2-1/3 inch thickness. Cook each side about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown- flipping once- move to a cookie sheet covered in wax paper and layers of paper towel.
I made these a day ahead and put them in the fridge overnight- then reheated them at 325for about 5-7 minutes. Serve with a little dab of applesauce and sour cream on each one!

No comments: