Friday, July 13, 2007

Grown-up Sloppy Joes




Hooray! I finally get to add one of my favorite recipes! I made this last night & if we don't go out to dinner we'll be having leftovers tonight (I think making hard shell joes-tacos though). This can be made with beef or turkey (I almost always make it with turkey) and is super-flavorful and simple to throw together!!

Joes
Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped *I use a reg size Maui sweet and use about 1/2 of it)
1 clove garlic, minced *I use 2-3 cloves
1 Red Bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Lb ground beef *or Turkey
1 6-oz can tomato paste (I also get a small can of tomato sauce- see below)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin *I use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp)
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper *I use 1/4
1/8 tsp cinnamon *I use 1/4
1 tsp kosher salt *I use several pinches to taste
Whole Wheat burger buns *it's good on toasted sourdough buns too!
Grated cheese *my two faves are sharp cheddar or jalapeno jack
Sour cream to garnish *optional

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper. Saute until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add meat and brown, about 5-7 minutes. (two options at this point the orig recipe does NOT have you drain the meat, just leave all liquids then add tomato paste and spices...an option to that is draining the meat and then adding paste and small can of tomato sauce & spices)
Add spices: chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, and salt, stirring after adding each spice. Simmer, stirring occasionally & saute (if you have left the juices in and only added tomato paste- let the sauce thicken a bit about 12 minutes)
Toast buns or sourdough
Spoon onto the buns, sprinkle with grated cheese, garnish with a dollop of sour cream.




I also made some quick potatoes as a side

2 Idaho potatoes, scrubbed
Kosher Salt
Chili powder
Garlic Powder
Ground black pepper

Cut potatoes in half long-ways, then sliced into little half-circle wedges. Foil & spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray & arrange wedges so they're all flat side up sprinkle lightly with all spices. Flip over and sprinkle other side.
Bake at 350 *about* 15 minutes or until golden (read below about my stupid oven that barley works...I have to really fidget with the temp and WATCH stuff. So I apologize for that!)

Serve with a light summery salad or steamed veggies


No comments: