Friday, September 28, 2012

Pear & Pumpkin Goodness



This was actually supposed to be muffins, but I didn't have any muffin tin liners and cleaning that thing is a real PITA, so I opted for a big ole loafy loaf instead. I highly doubt Logan will notice the difference- if he does, I'll re-post and let you know. (update: he loved it just how it was, no love lost over not being in muffin form)

The forecast for this weekend is 95 and sweaty as S-- so why not fire up the oven and get my bake on, right?
Sorry, it's OCTOBER in 5 minutes, I couldn't hold out any longer- A/C cranked up, it's time to get my first Pumpkin recipe of the season underway....

I recently discovered Cooking With My Kid a great website you should check out ASAP! I used her "Best Ever Pumpkin Muffins" (which you will find by clicking the link above) as the basic template for this recipe.
This is so moist and yummy, it's insane. However, if you've got a major sweet tooth- step up the sugar, because at less than 2 tsp per serving- this is not super-sweet- used a little less than 1/2 a cup because I knew Logan was gonna have some. I love it this way!



Here is what you will need:

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or oat flour for a gluten free option)
1/2 cup sugar (I used just a little less than that)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 15oz can pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
a handful of rolled oats for the top
1 large pear peeled and chopped into bitsy squares

Preheat the oven to 350.
Lightly grease an 8 x 8 pan or get out those muffin tin liners & do up 2 muffin tins or mini muffin tins.
Mix all the ingredients, except oats, until they are well incorporated.
Pour into prepared pan or muffin liners.
Sprinkle oats over top
Bake 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes clean.
Reduce time to 35 minutes for regular sized muffins, 25-30 minutes for mini muffins.

HAPPY FALL!!








No comments: