Friday, April 18, 2008

Pancakes for Nate



We're big fans of a big breakfast. We like waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs cooked a million ways, French toast, you name it, we love it. After a big, beautiful wedding we attended on a Saturday night recently, we decided that some homemade pancakes would help bring us back to life on Sunday morning. I try to bake from scratch as much as possible, but I do still use mixes from time to time and depending on the circumstances. This time, per Nate's request, we made a batch of flap-jacks from scratch and they were DELICIOUS!! I had just enough buttermilk leftover from something else, and got to use it before it went bad, which was awesome :)



Seeing as I do not have a generations-old top-secret family buttermilk pancake recipe that I make all the time, I went digging around the Internet and found THIS RECIPE on All Recipes.
It's titled "Truck-Stop Buttermilk Pancakes" and with a name like that, you know they'd better be good!!

This has been scaled to 4 servings

"Truck Stop Buttermilk Pancakes"
Source: All Recipes

2 eggs
1/2 c milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 2/3 c buttermilk
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1 Tbsp and 2 tsp sugar

In a large bowl whisk eggs, butter and milks. In another bowl combine all dry ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined. Adjust the batter thickness if needed by suing more flour (to make them thicker) or more buttermilk (if they seem too thick). (I didn't need to add a thing- they looked pretty good!)

Heat a large skillet or non-stick griddle to medium/medium-high heat. I use a ladle to pour out the flapjacks onto the griddle. When bubbles start appearing all over the "raw" side of the pancake (facing you) check the "doneness" of the cooked side with a spatula and flip when they are browned to your liking (some peeps like them super golden brown, while others may prefer a lighter pancake).

We served these with good ole butter and syrup, but they would be awesome with some fruit! This was a great, easy recipe that I will be using again. The pancakes were fluffy and delicious and they definitely helped our hangovers!!

10 comments:

gaga said...

Yum! That's some fluffly deliciousness you've got there!

grace said...

pancakes made from scratch are so satisfying, probably because i tend to douse mine with maple syrup and never skimp on the butter. :)

Mary said...

Yum - those look delish!

Sylvie said...

That's a beautiful stack of pancakes. Here in the UK flapjacks aren't pancakes but oat bars made with syrup/brown sugar and butter.

Erin said...

Those look delicious! Homemade pancakes really are the best! I'll have to try these soon. I love the pictures you took!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

test it comm said...

Those pancakes look so good! I always enjoy making pancakes at home.

bakingblonde said...

Congrats! I gave you an award

http://bakingblonde.blogspot.com/2008/04/blogging-with-purpose.html

Deborah said...

The last time I made pancakes, they were a total disaster. I should try this one out!!

Carrie said...

My husband made these this weekend, they are very good. Thanks for sharing!