Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cranberry Apple Crisp


I am a total sucker for the magazines they put at the grocery store check out. Especially at this time of year, and especially the magazines with amazing deserts on the cover. This desert is not the cover feature, which I am hoping to try before the month is over, but a little bitty recipe from the "Harvest Menu" article in October 2007's Country Living Magazine.




It was really how SIMPLE this recipe is that made me excited to try it. I followed it almost exactly, and it was so gooood! I think other than pumpkin, cranberries are my favorite thing to bake with at this time of year, and this was perfectly tart and sweet. It would make an excellent Thanksgiving desert. We had it while it was still warm with some vanilla bean ice cream.

Cranberry Apple Crisp
Source: Country Living Magazine, October 2007
4 large green apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/2 inch
1 C. fresh cranberries
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. rolled oats
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/3 cup softened butter

My changes:
I used 2 golden delicious and 2 gala because they're sweet to balance the cranberry & cubed them.

Heat oven to 375 & lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking pan with butter. Add apples and cranberries to pan. Combine sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg & softened butter in a bowl & mix well. Spread the oat mixture over the fruit with a spoon until covered, and bake until golden brown about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings

4 comments:

a real librarian said...

OMG, that looks AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

this looks so fab, i know I will be making this

Jaime said...

yum!!! this looks SO good!

Caty said...

Looks delicious. The filling is such a pretty pink colour.